Monday, September 26, 2011

September 26, 2011: Just Because I Feel Like It...

I know in the past I've been really bad about blogging, but I'm trying to get better and more frequent about it. Am I doing an okay job? I'm trying, so be patient with me.

I really don't have a lot to say today, I am just writing because I have no clue what else to do. The rest of the family is in bed, and I'm just not ready for that yet.

Oh.... So you remember that genius idea I got about going down that monster hill? Well... I think I can't count it as me conquering the hill anymore..... So, obviously, a hill has two sides, right? This particular hill has one side that is very much steeper than the other. Usually, this is the side I go up, and then go down the other side. The other day though, I went down the steep side. I was all cocky of course, like, ''Yeah, I got this!'' And then I took my skate off, and started going down doing the one foot thing. Now, I have what I believe they call ''Road Rash'' or maybe road burn on my heel, and I owe my host sister, Geraldine, a new pair of socks. Going down that side of the hill, first, the pavement was very cracky, and there are many trees here right now that are loosing dead leaves, and small twigs, so I had to dodge those and slugs, and small rocks, and the like. Then, I had Geraldine holding onto my back and she ran over my heel a couple times with her skate, but it was all good, neither of us were hurt in the adventure down the hill. By the time I got down, the entire heel of that sock was worn down, and it was just a big hole. Oops...... Sorry Geraldine, I'll try to knit you a new pair. If/when that doesn't work, I can always get you some for Christmas. Maybe in eight separate gifts. ;D

I forgot to talk about it in my last post, but, last week on Thursday, my host dad, Bodo, came up to me and was like, Anna, we have a surprise for you. I was psyched, of course, because I love surprises. I waited, and about an hour before we left, Bodo was like, ''Yep, we're bringing you to the dentist.'' I did not believe him for a minute. Probably because he had a very mischevious smile on his face when he told me that. We left, and soon pulled into the parking lot of an old farm that has been renovated (by Bodo) into an inn. Super cute, and as we parked, and were greeted by Bodo and Anja's friends, I saw an open carriage with two beautiful brown horses attatched. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, the surprise was a ride on a horse drawn carriage. I literally have no clue where we went, but we went pretty far, I'd assume. The ride was gorgeous, and the weather was perfect. I was wearing a tank top, and I remember everybody else was huddled up in coats, and freezing. They asked me probably twelve times, ''Ist das nicht kalt??'' Nope, it was not cold at all. The only way I can describe it was perfect, and also funny because we got chased by two different dogs, and tested out our mad ''Horse Power'' on the country roads. A Porsche passed us doing about 200 kph. Richtig geil.

Oh, I almost forgot. So yesterday, I was inline skating with Geraldine, and right as we got to the monster hill, my skate got caught on something, and I swerved to my right. Guess what was to my right? A big patch of poison ivy and stinging nettle about a foot and a half tall. I went in, and started going down a slope which led to a small ditch that was also lined with nettles and ivy. My face was about eighteen inches from my kneecaps, and I was about to sprawl facefirst into all that pain when a nettle twisted around my front wheel, and totally saved me. I got out okay with only a small rash making it's way through my pant leg. I think that may be why I know have seven small cuts on my leg from shaving today. Damn irritated nettle skin. What happened on the way home though was even crazier. So, I learned only today how to use the brakes on inline skates. Before today, I was stopping on walls, and fences, and people, and other objects I could grab hold of. Yesterday, it was a lamp post, but I was going a bit faster than usual. I got my hands on the post, but my momentum carried me past it a little further from where I needed to stop/turn. You remember that weird dance that you always saw Goofy do in the old Disney cartoons when he went ice skating and almost fell over? Yep, I did an exact replica of that good old dance, except, I did not fall head first on the pavement and recieve a ring of ice around my neck. I managed to keep my balance again, and save myself from a nose bleed, and possibly broken teeth. I almost fell one more time yesterday. Amazingly, I saved myself again and got hold of a fence just in time with my butt about two inches from the pavement.

Don't you just hate unexplainable bruises? I have on right now on the back of my knee. I have no clue where it came from.

Tomorrow, by the way, I am making my host family an American Apple Pie. The legit thing that isn't a sheet pastry with apples and marzipan. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

Oh! And I finally bought a multi purpose solution for my contact lenses today, so once I wax my eyebrows, I think we'll be seeing more Anna Eyes around Kamp-Lintfort. Although, I wore my contact lenses yesterday for the first time in a while. I had to open a new pair because when I opened my contacts case, I found that the solution I had in since the last time I wore my contacts had like evaporated or something, and it was gone, and the contacts that were in there were brittle teensy little pieces of plastic. Whoops. Oh well, they were the wrong prescription/trial lenses anyways.

Well, now that it's eleven thirty, and four paragraphs more than what I thought I would write, I think I'm going to go to bed. I have first period free tomorrow, and am looking forward to sleeping in until 7 o'clock.

Until my Next Post, Tchüß.

Mit Freundlichen Grüßen,
Anna <3

2 comments:

  1. Oh Anna, I love this!!

    Slugs in Germany?? Who knew?

    Inline skating...is this a new hobby or something you did back home as well?

    Horse and Carriage ride.....SO JEALOUS...adding that to my bucket list...which means you need to add a hot air balloon ride to yours :)

    Looking forward to your next post!!!

    They have some fun crazy halloween socks in the stores right now... I may have to send a pair for you and Geraldine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok..so ...just learned how to use the brakes on the inline skates.. might save on socks now :)

    ReplyDelete